Over the years it hasn’t been only women who’ve asked me this. As men get older their bottom also drops slightly and it is not for cosmetic reasons you should keep your bottom firm. Strengthening exercises help to keep you moving as you age.
A simple test to see whether your bottom is losing its firmness is to place a pencil (or pen) in the crease of your bottom and if the pencil is still being held in place you need some specific work in this area. Most people think that if they just do squats it is enough but in fact squats only use (mainly) your large Gluteus Maximus muscles when there are a few other muscles you should work to get overall development in the area.
The five Combination exercises will help you tone the muscles of your lower limbs very quickly. You will notice the difference in two weeks and only need body weight for the first four and only minimal extra resistance for the last one. Do one set of ten to fifteen repetitions in both directions for each exercise.
- Side Step/ Knee Raise. This exercise is shown in the photo that heads this Post. As you can see it is a straight leg side step to a knee raise. Start by moving to one side then alternatively to the other side. Keep your tummy tight and your spine straight.
- Squat / Back Leg Lift. The photo below only shows the first part of this movement. Do a normal half squat then raise one of your legs backwards. Swing the leg back to parallel to the front foot to repeat for ten to fifteen times before you repeat with the other leg.
- Sumo Squat/ Sideways Step/Sumo Squat. Squat in Sumo position (see photo) to Step sideways back to the Sumo Squat again. Repeat 10 – 15 times each way.
- Squat with Arms Raised/ Back Lunge. Hold the Squat with your arms raised above you head for 5 seconds before doing a Back Lunge. Repeat for 10 – 15 times before repeating with the alternate leg going backwards into the Back Lunge.
5. Double Leg Scissors on Side. If you have access to leg weights your can use them here, otherwise you can use bottles of water and strap them to both legs. Otherwise use just the weight of your legs although best results are obtained with a Resistance with this exercise. Lying on your side (as in photo) lift both legs up and do a straight leg scissor movement for 10 – 15 times. Move to the other side and repeat.
You should do a series of stretches after this small routine. The whole routine should take you only 10 minutes. As you can see it revolves around the half squat but has the extra movements to ensure you work all the muscles of your lower limb. You should do the routine at least three times a week…better 4 or 5 times. Keep this type of routine up to keep you firm!
If you desire a routine designed to your individual needs you can reach me through this Website.